About Me

My photo
I'm a mommy, wife, chauffeur, zookeeper, reader and book reviewer

Friday, April 27, 2012

Lemony Snicket

The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #13)The End by Lemony Snicket
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I remember when these books originally came out and I didn’t understand the fascinations with such a dismal sounding title. When my older daughter brought one home and didn’t want to stop reading, I knew it was time to check the book out. I borrowed the book after she went to bed and … couldn’t put it down! Lemony Snicket is a brilliant writer! His comedic triplets are hilarious. The doom and gloom are so over the top that I had to laugh. The ramblings would seem to break writing rules, yet deliver comic relief and do not detract from the story. Dare I say, these books are just as good as Harry Potter—and I thoroughly enjoyed the Harry Potter series.

There were a few volumes that I thought were darker than the others (thus the 4 star rating) such as cook 3, 4, 8, and 9. Without spoiling the end of The End, I felt it all ended a little sadder than I had hoped; but I guess with the title of A Series of Unfortunate Events, one can’t expect a happily ever after.

I would definitely recommend this series to the 8-12 year old crowd!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment