About Me

My photo
I'm a mommy, wife, chauffeur, zookeeper, reader and book reviewer

Monday, August 29, 2011

Not enough story

Treasures at the MuseumTreasures at the Museum by Deborra Richardson

My rating: 1 of 5 stars





In Treasures at the Museum by Deborra Richardson, Aunt Imani wants to educate her niece and nephew and include them in some of the things she does. She wants them to see beyond the displays in the museum, know the work that goes on behind the scenes, and learn that the work is interesting and not boring.



Unfortunately I did not find that premise interesting at all. The book was much too short, had no real problem or conflict that needing solving—other than Robbie didn’t want to go to the museum archives because he thought they were boring, and the story itself did not flow. While I understand comparing family pictures and keepsakes to museum archives, I think too much time was spent elaborating on their family “archives” and not enough time was spent emphasizing the actual museum archives. The details Richardson chooses to put in and those she chooses to leave out don’t make any sense and make the reading choppy. Many landmarks are mentioned, but only in passing which doesn’t do much for a 4-8 year old. The information contained in this “story” would do much better in a shortened form in a pamphlet. There is no real problem, hero, solution and therefore no real story here.



I received a digital preview through Net Galley to read and give an honest review.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment