About Me

My photo
I'm a mommy, wife, chauffeur, zookeeper, reader and book reviewer

Friday, March 2, 2012

My introduction to steampunk

Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is a great adventure into an alternate history. It’s pre-World War I but Europe is taking sides between robotic fighting machines and Frankenstein-esque animal creations. Darwinists are genetically crossing various creatures that are supposed to be better than machines because they can heal and need food rather than fuel. The Clankers create robotic-like machines of various sizes, shapes and abilities. They believe the machines are better because metal is stronger than skin.

Westerfeld has created a great alternate reality. He does an amazing job of describing machines and creatures that don’t exist but makes the reader wonder—could they?

I’ve always been a sci-fi fan and so far I’m really enjoying this new sub-genre steampunk.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment