About Me

My photo
I'm a mommy, wife, chauffeur, zookeeper, reader and book reviewer

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cute idea, bad language

Velcro: The Ninja Kat (Volume 1)Velcro: The Ninja Kat by Chris Widdop
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

There is a mysterious cat hiding in the shadows dressed all in black. The Ninja Kat is attacking the military unity called the Devil Corps run by the Devil Dog. By dressing in black and hiding in the shadows, the Ninja Kat uses the element of surprise to outwit the Devils. Without surprise, no other weapon seems to stand a chance against the Devil Corps who have Magic and technology at their disposal. When the Ninja Kat is finally overpowered, the Kat teams up with a group of Hamsters with courage and determination and the ability to develop new technology.

The premise of the book is good, intriguing even. It’s cute how Widdop uses a hamster’s store bought habitat as the hamster’s city. I enjoyed picturing cats using martial arts and dogs as soldiers. Unfortunately these cute elements are contrasted against bad language making it inappropriate for elementary and middle schoolers. Parents concerned about language should be aware even at the young adult level.

When the author started talking about the mysterious Black Magic, I was also disappointed. Black Magic and hamsters fighting in balls became too predictable for me. I wanted to like this story by I just don’t think I can recommend it to anyone.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment