About Me

My photo
I'm a mommy, wife, chauffeur, zookeeper, reader and book reviewer

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

It was a little creepy for my taste

Showdown (Books of History Chronicles: Paradise, #1)Showdown by Ted Dekker
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The laid back town of Paradise, Colorado seemed stuck in a rut. A monastery hidden deep in a canyon seemed isolated from the outside. Yet Dekker entwines these two in a story that straddles reality and fantasy.

Something happened in Paradise years ago that was swept under the carpet. In doing so the heart of soul of the townspeople began to grow cold and hard—and Father Yordon the preacher is in the middle of it.

David Abraham is the head of the monastery, a project to see if the innocence of children could be cultivated and encouraged in a pure and loving environment.

This story borders on allegory as many scenes bring to mind Biblical events or scenarios: choices, sacrifice, worms and characters. As a thriller, however, it is not for the faint of heart. More than once I was tempted to quit as certain scenes were described in such graphic detail. But there was a twist halfway through that had me hanging on for dear life.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment